The Roswell Incident – 1947

The Roswell UFO Incident took place in Roswell, New Mexico in June or July of 1947.  There is some debate as to the exact date the crash happened.  Regardless of the date, something happened in Roswell that would ignite UFO mania across the world.  On June 14th, 1947 William Brazel noticed a cluster of debris nearly thirty miles north of Roswell, New Mexico.  Upon further inspection the wreckage contained rubber strips, tinfoil, a tough paper, and sticks.

Brazel, thinking it was nothing more than common materials stashed some of the findings under some brush.  The next day, Brazel starting hearing reports that some sort of “flying disc” had been found.  On July 7th, Braze met with Sheriff Wilcox and whispered” that he may have found a flying disc.

With the new knowledge, Wilcox called RAAF Major Jesse Marcel who sent out a plain clothed officer to inspect the location.  On July 7th they spent a couple of hours looking for more parts of the “weather device.”  They found several patches of tinfoil and rubber.

Throughout the investigation into the crashed object several remarks were made by military personnel.  Statements like “something must have exploded above the ground and fell.” and “I still don’t know what it was … It could not have been part of an aircraft, not part of any kind of weather balloon or experimental balloon … I’ve seen rockets … sent up at the White Sands Testing grounds.  It definitely was not part of an aircraft of missile or rocket.”

What makes the Roswell incident stand out is the fact that the Military initially claimed to have recovered “the wreckage of a crashed disk”.  This report was made on July 8th, 1947 at 11:00 am.  It was reported by newspapers and radio stations and by 2:26 p.m. was being distributed by The Associated Press with the headline of “The Army Air Forces here today announced a flying disk had been found.”

As we all know, this was retracted the next day and replaced with a more subtle version of events that a weather balloon had been recovered.  The story that it was a weather balloon was heavily disputed by Brigadier General Thomas DuBose, who at the time was the chief of staff of the 8th Air Force.  DuBose stated “It was a cover story. The whole balloon part of it.  That was the part of the story we were told to give to the public and news and that was it.”

Another strange angle to this story is that there were apparently bodies recovered in the crash.  Glenn Dennis, a young mortician working at Ballard Funeral Home, received a curious call one afternoon from the RAAF morgue.  The caller was trying to obtain small, hermetically sealed coffins and was also curious about techniques that could be used to preserve bodies that had been exposed to the elements for a few days while avoiding contamination of the tissues.

Dennis later drove to the base hospital where he saw large pieces of wreckage with “strange engravings” sticking out behind a military ambulance.  As soon as Dennis entered the hospital he was met with military police who threatened him and forced him to leave the premises.  The next day Dennis met with a nurse who was at the hospital who drew pictures of the bodies that had been discovered on her prescription pad.  Within days, she was transferred to England where she seemingly went missing.

The oddities with this case go on and on.  I highly recommend reading other articles to supplement mine as I have barely scratched the surface of this case.  I do plan on following up with other articles that delve deeper into the specific issues with this case.

My Analysis:

Something crashed outside of Roswell.  It may have been a weather balloon although I do not believe that.  The materials recovered and described by all of the witnesses does not sound like weather balloon materials.  The material could not be cut, torn, or otherwise destroyed.  It was pliable enough to crush into a ball in your hands, but as soon as it was released would fold back to its original shape.  That definitely does not describe tinfoil.

The way the government handled this case also raises questions.  Some hold to their story that it was in fact a disk while others stuck to the lie of a weather balloon.  The fact that a Brigadier General would risk his career by stating the balloon part was part of a cover up is one of the strongest pieces of evidence in my opinion.  People do not risk everything for a lie.

This event also seems to have set a standard for covering up the truth.  In an era where people were more trustworthy and honorable, I am curious who made the decision to cover up the truth and why.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s